Pattern: Baby Bell Bottoms by Alison Hansel (Ravelry link)
Yarn: KPPPM in P338, dubbed Pumpkin, purchased at Personal Threads in Omaha (home of the giant wall of Koigu.)
Size: 6-12 months (modified to be more of a 6-9 month size)
Needles: Size 4 dpns for the legs, size 4 16″ circ for the hips
Mods: Well, I knit the legs in the round, dropping the cast on number by 2 to compensate for the seams. I also knit these in a fingering weight yarn with a stitch gauge of 6 stitches per inch to try to make them the smaller size. I think it worked out OK, although they may be smaller than I intended. I also used an I-Cord for the tie, because I didn’t like the other options.
I also didn’t follow the directions for finishing the hem. Instead of binding off and then sewing, I folded the hem over and bound off with the coordinating stitch, eliminating the sewing part. I bound off by picking up the purl bump, knitting it together with the live stitch, and then inserting the left needle into the two stitches to be bound off as if to do a SSK and knitting those together. It’s the same method I used for toe up socks, and it’s very stretchy.
Sorry the picture of it is so blurry. It was a cloudy day.
Now, I admit that when these pictures were taken, the pants hadn’t touched a drop of water. They’ve now been washed, and I think they’ve grown some.
I didn’t have time to wash them before Pidge and I went to see the Yarn Harlot.
She liked the pants. Even though they were covered in spit-up. (But then again, so was I. I reeked. Great evening.)
There’s been a lot more happening around here, and I’m just barely keeping up with it all. Folks sick, folks divorcing, folks visiting, folks calling, folks celebrating birthdays…. It’s just been busy. I’ve found some time to cast on another pair of rainbow barf socks for Ladybug. They’ll be nice and quick, I’m sure.